See the Coastal Landscape on This Tour of the Carian Trail
Found in the south-west of Turkey, along the Aegean coast is the Carian Trail tour that leads you through a magnificent coastal landscape that is divided into many smaller and larger peninsulas, islands and bays. Walk in thick, green forests and wonder at the glowing white rocks that rise above the sea.
On the Carian Trail, you will get to experience an interplay of land and sea, thousand-metre-high cliffs and lovely secluded bays inviting you for a swim. The trail gets its name from the Carian civilisation, and the region is rich in ancient ruins and history, and you will get to visit the settlements of Amos, Hydas and Loryma that is surrounded by preserved city walls and connected by stone-paved caravan roads and mule paths.
At the quiet village of Turgut, the Carian Trail will take you across olive groves and through forested slopes to the ruins of the ancient city of Hydas, which is found on a narrow ridge. Travel through a spectacular landscape over a high plateau, and you will hike up to a mountain saddle where you can enjoy the fantastic view of a turquoise bay with small islands. You will also stop at the ruins of the ancient city of Amos that has an ancient Greek amphitheatre that offers magnificent views of the Bay of Marmaris.
- Go across olive groves and through forested slopes to the ruins of the ancient city of Hydas
- Stop at the ruins of the ancient city of Amos with an ancient Greek amphitheater offering magnificent views
- Take a hike to the remote Loryma Bay, where the ancient city of Loryma is located on a small peninsula.
- Hike through extensive forests along the coastal slopes and enjoy the beautiful views of the bay of Gökova
- Rest and to enjoy the view under the towering rock faces of Mount Sakar
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered on activity/tour: English, German, French
- Duration: 8 days
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Pick-up servicePick up from Dalaman airport
- CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- On Request
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 3 days before the tour starts. Please note we reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- 24/7 assistance by phone
- Luggage transport to next hotel and private transfers on all walking days
- Breakfast and dinner as stated in the itinerary
- Pick up and drop off at Dalaman Airport
- Meals that are not mentioned in the itinerary
- Other services not mentioned
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities (optional)
Arrive at Dalaman Airport and enjoy a complimentary transfer to your hotel in Bozburun (2.5 hours).
Meet our representative, who will give you on the walks and give you the maps and the documentation needed for your trip.
For the rest of the day relax and enjoy at your leisure
After a transfer to the quiet village of Turgut, the Carian Trail will take you across olive groves and through forested slopes to the ruins of the ancient city of Hydas, which is found on a narrow ridge.
Enjoy the spectacular panoramic views over mountains and bays, and after going past the tomb of a Carian princess, you will then hike to the idyllic cascades and small waterfalls of a mountain stream.
In Bayır, you can enjoy a tea under a mighty plane tree, then return by transfer to Bozburun.
Walking for the day: 11 km, 4-5 hours ↑450m ↓250m.
Transfer to Bayır then through a spectacular landscape over a high plateau, and you will hike up to a mountain saddle where you can enjoy the fantastic view of a turquoise bay with small islands.
Continue along the coast where you will reach the bay of Kumlubük, where the beach will invite you to take a dip.
During the return transfer, you will stop at the ruins of the ancient city of Amos with an ancient Greek amphitheatre offering magnificent views of the Bay of Marmaris.
Walking for the day: 15 km, 5-6 hours ↑400m ↓550m.
Today’s hike will start at the small harbour of Serce through the karstic landscape, and you will also walk along the coast with spectacular views of the numerous bays.
Finally, you will reach the remote Loryma Bay, where the ancient city of Loryma is located on a small peninsula.
Inland, you will hike back over a plateau shadowed by old trees.
Walking for the day: 14 km, 5-6 hours ↑350m ↓350m.
A shortening of the walk is possible.
Transfer to the farmhouse in Bahceli through a high terraced valley where the path leads up to a saddle where you can enjoy and take photos of the spectacular view of the sea.
A panoramic path leads you high above the coast.
After reaching the coastal town of Selimiye, transfer to Akyaka.
Walking for the day: 11 km, 4 hours ↑350m ↓450m.
For dinner in Akyaka, there is a good choice of restaurants and taverns serving fresh seafood, and locally sourced produce at the beach and in the centre of Akyaka.
From Akyaka, the trail mainly leads you through the extensive old forests along the coastal slopes and you can enjoy the beautiful views of the bay of Gökova from a restaurant by the sea, where you can have some refreshments.
Walking for the day: 12 km, 4-5 hours ↑320m ↓350m.
From Turnalı the path goes up to the edge of a hill under the towering rock faces of Mount Sakar, the perfect place for a rest and to enjoy the view to the mountains of the Datca Peninsula.
A historical winding path leads you to the hamlet of Kiransahili, from here you will transfer back to Akyaka.
Walking for the day: 11 km, 5-6 hours ↑950m ↓800m.
Return home with a complimentary airport transfer to Dalaman Airport included or individual stay extension.
- Must have a good physical fitness level
- Please apply suncream in the summer months
- Make sure you wear comfortable clothing or footwear
- Excellent 5
- Very Good 4
- Average 3
- Poor 2
- Terrible 1