Paris Catacombs Skip the Line Audio-guided Tour
- Languages offered in: English, German, French, Spanish
- Duration: 45 minutes
- Printed Voucher Accepted
- The Catacombs are closed on Mondays
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m
- Adult supervision required for children under 14
- Live GuideEnglish, German, French, Spanish
- Easy CancellationNon-refundable
- Take advantage of a skip the line ticket to get easily into the Catacombs of Paris
- Immerse yourself into this incredible underground world in Paris
- Unforgettable travel through dark paths with walls of skulls and bones
Don't miss the underground passages of Paris where you will have a truly unique experience!
Get skip-the-line priority access and take advantage of an audio-guided tour. Dive into a world unlike any other, and go at your own pace.
The Catacombs date back to the end of the 18th century, around 1788. They were built in the old Tombe-Issoire limestone quarries to move bones from Paris cemeteries that had fallen into ruin. The very first cemetery was Les Innocents, near the Les Halles neighbourhood. The last cemetery was cleared in 1814. Stones from the quarries were used to build Notre-Dame Cathedral and the Louvre, and to fortify the city of Paris.
Before entering the winding tunnels, visitors are greeted by a quote: Arrête, c’est ici l’empire de la Mort ("Stop, here lies the Empire of Death"), perched above the doors that mark the beginning of a journey back through time. Visitors then walk down 130 steps, some 65 feet underground, to the dark tunnels decorated with bones from Paris cemeteries. On the walls, various phrases, poems and writings—some religious, others not—can be found among the bones, leaving visitors to reflect throughout the mile-long tour.
The Paris Catacombs tour takes about 45 minutes. Prepare to climb another 83 steps to get out.
- Admission ticket with skip-the-line priority access
- Audio-guide available in French, English, Spanish, and German
- The Catacombs are not accessible to persons with reduced mobility
- The tour is not recommended for visitors with respiratory or heart conditions, people with sensitivities, or young children
- Temperature inside the Catacombs: 14°C (57°F)
- Pets are not welcome
- The audio-guide lasts about 30 minutes and is available for adults aged 18 and over (Kids audio-guide available for €5, paid on the spot)