Inside the Volcano Tour
- Scheduling: Shared Tour
- Languages offered in: English
- Duration: 5 to 6 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- The minimum age required to book this tour is 12
- This tour operates from May to October
- Pick-up servicePick up from your centrally located accommodation in Reykjavik
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 2 hours before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Descending into the heart of a volcano
- Exploring the colossal magma chamber
- Amazing colour in hues of red, yellow and purple
- Learning about volcanoes and volcanic activity
Located in an ancient lava field near Reykjavik, the unique Thrihnukagigur volcano is one of just a handful of places in the world where you can literally descend into the heart of a volcano and explore its gigantic magma chamber.
Following a volcanic eruption, magma chambers usually collapse, but in Thrihnukagigur, the lava drained out like water from a pipe leaving the volcano's plumbing system empty. For this reason, Thrihnukagigur crater is one of few places in the world where you can enter a volcano and explore its magma chamber.
Inside the volcano tour literally takes you into the volcano, through the top crater and right to the bottom of its magma chamber where molten magma flowed during an eruption 4.000-years ago.
The Thrihnukagigur volcano is reached via an hour-long walk and entered by way of an open cable lift, a descent of 120 metres.
Inside the volcano, the ground space is equivalent to around three basketball courts, and the centre cavity could easily fit the Statue of Liberty.
- Complimentary pick-up and drop-off for hotels and guest houses in Reykjavik
- Round-trip transportation
- Professional travel guide
- All necessary safety gear, helmets, harness etc.
- Other services not mentioned
- Personal expenses
- Optional Gratuities
- On return you'll be dropped off at the pickup point you were collected from or at the closest possible point.
- To help ensuring the quickest possible collection we kindly ask you to stand by for pick up in front of your hotel or guest house when pick up starts. Boarding the pick-up coach please present your tour voucher.
- Pick up from hotels and guesthouses starts 30 minutes before the tour departure time stated on your voucher. Check in at Gray Line Bus Terminal is 15 minutes before the tour departure time stated on your voucher.
- Wear outdoor clothing and proper walking/hiking shoes - trainers and jeans are not sufficient.