North Sumatra Karo Highland With Views of Lake Toba
Start the journey to Medan suburb gaining the altitude as you traverse Sembahe, the forested foothills of the Bukit Barisan mountain; through the Nature Reserve of Sibolangit with its pleasant patch of undisturbed rain forest amidst giant ferns & moss-covered trees.
Explore the picturesque town of Berastagi a former hill station during Dutch colonial era, located on the northern edge of Karo Plateau at 1,300m altitude. Driving up to Gundaling Hill (1.496 M) with a view to the north dominated by the smoking Mt. Sibayak (2.094 m) and further to the west is Mt. Sinabung (2.451 M) and then down southwestern outskirt of Karo highland.
The vegetables and fruits farming support rapidly growing urban population in the low lands.
Arrive at Dokan; one of Karonese Batak villages where most traditional houses have multiple decorative gables topped with realistically modelled buffalo heads protecting the occupants from harm.
Lunch at a local restaurant and then continue the journey upward on a vastly more scenic back road to Tongging Hill; vantage point for Lake Toba which at over 1,145sq km, and up to a depth of 450 metres in places, looks more like an ocean.
It is the world’s largest crater lake as well as being the largest lake in Southeast Asia and one of the deepest in the world. See in the distance Sipiso Piso waterfall, which shoots out a cave at the edge of the plateau and plunges 120 m straight down to a small gushing stream below.
At the end of your tour, we will return to Medan city and transfer you to your hotel.
- Visit Sipiso Piso waterfall
- Visit Tongging Hill for viewing Lake Toba
- Visit Berastagi
- Private air-conditioned vehicle
- Free pick up and drop off from select hotels in Medan City
- Scheduling: Goodman Tour
- Languages offered on the Activity / Tour: English
- Duration: 10 hours
- Printed Voucher Accepted
- Pick-up servicePick up from hotels in Medan City.
- Easy CancellationCancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 3 days before the tour starts. We reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Bottled water and wet tissue
- Entrance and parking fees
- English-speaking guide (other language is subject to surcharge and availability)
- Hotel pick-up and drop off within Medan city
- Private air-conditioned transportation
- Other services not clearly indicated in the inclusions.
- Items of personal nature ( tipping, souvenir)
- Food, drinks other than mentioned
- Please include your hotel name and address when making your booking.