Relive the Rich Jewish Heritage of Istanbul on this Private Guided City Tour
Begin your private Istanbul's Jewish Heritage tour with your pick up from your hotel in Istanbul. Once onboard your vehicle cruise to the old Jewish neighbourhood of Galata and find out how the fourth crusade demolished and captured the area in 1203. Hear how this Istanbul monument was constructed in the 14th century as part of the colonial expansion into Constantinople by the Genoese.
Next stop is the Ashkenaz Synagogue the only active synagogue of its kind in Istanbul. Learn how the Austrian Jews who established it in 1900 for the Ashkenazi Jewish sect. At present, the synagogue still celebrates bar mitzvahs, weddings, other religious ceremonies and is available to visitors and those who wish to pray.
With your professional guide continue through the Beyoğlu neighbourhood to the Jewish Museum of Turkey known before as the Zülfaris Synagogue. Explore the history of how this 19th-century religious building was rebuilt as a museum in 2001 which was to honour the 500th anniversary of Sephardic Jews arriving at the Ottoman Empire. See how Jewish culture blended with Turkish history in the Museum and learn how Muslims and Jews lived with one another.
Visit Etz Ahayim Synagogue known as the Ortaköy Synagogue. Located in the Beşiktaş district in the neighbourhood of Ortaköy and gain knowledge into how different ethnicities and religions such as Greeks, Turks, Armenians, and Jews were all able to live together in peace during the rule of the Ottoman Empire. Even today this neighbourhood is a perfect example of how all colours and creeds can live in peace.
Leave Ortaköy with new knowledge of Jewish history in Turkey and head back to your hotel where your tour concludes.
- Discover everything about the centuries-old history and culture of Istanbul’s Jewish community
- Admire the Galata Tower
- Visit two prominent synagogues: Ashkenazi Synagogue, and Etz Ahayim Synagogue
- Get a better understanding of Jewish and Muslim coexistence at the Jewish Museum of Turkey
- Scheduling: Private
- Languages offered on activity/tour: English, German, French, Chinese, Dutch, Japanese
- Duration: 3 to 5 hours
- Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Pick-up servicePick up from your Istanbul hotel
- CancellationThere is no cancellation fee once Customers Cancel at least 7 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 50% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 3 and 6 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
There is 100% cancellation fee for Customers to Cancel 2 day(s) prior to the date of the activity or tour.
- Instant Confirmation
- Cut-off TimeAvailable to be booked until 24 hours before the tour starts. Please note we reserve the option to confirm the tour or not due to availability.
- Parking Fees
- Professional Tour Guide
- Luxurious Vehicles For Transportation
- Entrance Fees
- Food and drink
- Personal expenses
- Optional Gratuities
- Please note you MUST provide your full passport details at time of booking. This information is required in order to obtain permission to enter the synagogues
- Excellent 5
- Very Good 4
- Average 3
- Poor 2
- Terrible 1